Author Topic: no textures  (Read 4983 times)

billiek

• View Profile
no textures
« on: December 19, 2009, 05:16:19 PM »
Downloaded simviation f86 for fsx and installed but textures do not appear.Have the same in fs9 with no problems.A truly beautiful a/c.Everthing seems to be in the right place but textures do not appear.
Do i have to wait for fsx release? What can i do to fix it?

keatles

• View Profile
Re: no textures
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 02:21:45 AM »
Hey Billie

Have a look at the way texture files are managed in FSX.

Look in FSX\SimObjects\Airplanes, find the folder for a default FSX airplane.

Inside the paticular airplane folder, there should be a folder called 'texture', and this folder contains all the textures that are common to the model, eg cockpit, gear bays, lights, etc. The folders titled 'texture.xxxxx' contain the textures applicable to a specific paint job, eg 'texture.MigMadMarine', and only contain the texture files that make one paint job different from the others, eg 'fuselage_1_T.bmp'. (Although FSX uses .dds format, it will recognise extended bitmap format.)

To let the program know about this arrangement, there is a file called 'texture.cfg'  If you look at any of these files, you will find they are all the same, so you can copy and paste a texture.cfg file from any standard FSX aircraft.

My FSX SF8 F-86 'texture' file contains 27 files, starting with f86jv_cantenn.dds, and ending with f86jv8.dds (I converted mine to dds).
The different paintjob files have 11 files each, starting with frames.dds and ending with thumbnail.jpg

Hope this helps a little.

Alan
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a poor memory.

billiek

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 07:23:16 PM »
Hi Alan,
Thanks for your inputs.The 27 textures are in the folder but not in dds format.I can't paste a cfg file to the folder .How can I convert the files to dds?

Billiek

keatles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 03:08:07 AM »
Billie

Just to be sure, check you have done as follows:

1. Go to the SF8 homepage, and select Download Center
2. Download the F-86E/F "Sabre Base Pack" as well as the "F-86E/F Sabre Service Pack 1", AND "F-86E/F FS9 Intermediate Fix for FSX"
3. Open the last file (sf8f-86fsxup.zip) and extract to a folder of your choice.

I have re-formatted the readme.txt file to make it easier to follow (File attached). Open it and READ FULLY!
You must follow the instructions carefully to get everything to work properly.

Good luck

Alan
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a poor memory.