Author Topic: Windows 7 FSX and installing Sabre  (Read 21181 times)

peemers

• View Profile
Windows 7 FSX and installing Sabre
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:24:40 AM »
I have Windows 7 installed and FSX.  I am having great difficulty in installing the F-86, any advice would be welcome, didn't have this difficulty with XP, can it be that Windows 7 causes problems? - peemers

vgbaron

• View Profile
Re: Windows 7 FSX and installing Sabre
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:37:08 PM »
I had no problems at all in w764. What is happening when you try to install?

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 01:45:50 PM »
Hi,

I have Windows 7 installed and FSX.  I am having great difficulty in installing the F-86, any advice would be welcome, didn't have this difficulty with XP, can it be that Windows 7 causes problems? - peemers

what kind of problems do you have? Do you have problems unzipping the download file, or do you get an error message or does the Sabre not show up in FSX?

Hansi

peemers

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:11:44 AM »
Hello friends, thanks for replying.  I have tried every which way to install.  Placing the file in the FSX folder, using the Windows 7 extract to FSX folder, pasting the F-86 in Sim objects/airplane and still no view of the sabre when I run FSX.  Advice much appreciated please - Peemers

peemers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 04:17:42 AM »
Success !!!  I have finally managed to get this wonderful aeroplane installed in FSX, the only drawback is that I can't see through the canopy, it is just reflective.  Anyone any ideas? Peemers

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 05:59:49 PM »
Hi peemers,

Success !!!  I have finally managed to get this wonderful aeroplane installed in FSX, the only drawback is that I can't see through the canopy, it is just reflective.  Anyone any ideas? Peemers

which view is affected: Virtual cockpit or the 2D panel?

As quick help: Try to uncheck "bloom light effects" in the FS graphics menu and see if that makes a difference.

Cheers,

Hansi

peemers

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 03:52:41 AM »
Thanks Hans, it makes no difference unchecking the 'bloom' box.  I must add I'm in virtual cockpit. -Peemers

Jan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
Hey Peemers,

I assume you have used the FSX patch/fix along with the normal FS9 Sabre package ? It proved that some people found it difficult to install this initial FSX fix. Therefor, a while ago i created an easier 'one step' FSX fix. You can just unzip it in your FSX root folder and everything will be placed in the correct folders. No need to install the FS9 version first either. Along with the base model you'll get 5 additional liveries, thumbnails, and an adapted aircraft.cfg that deactivates most of the exhaust effects that will hit heavy on your fps in FSX. The effects files are still there so if you want to test them yourself you still can via the aircaft.cfg.

You can download this secondary ' easy install' here :  

http://sectionf8.com/f86files/sf86fsx_fixup.zip

Since you have already installed the FS9 model in FSX i can advice you to uninstall it first before installing this new FSX fix.

I am a first time W7/64 user myself and i just installed the Sabre model in FSX without any problem apart from the usual anomalies related to FS9 port-overs in FSX.

Only one small issue remains : a black recticle..... i shall have to look into this... ( no pun intended.. 8) )

Good luck!

Cheers,
Jan
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:20:47 PM by Jan »

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »
Hi Peemers,

and when having installed the sf86fsx_fixup.zip, please re-install the gauges and the PANEL.CFG from the Section F8 Sabre Service Pack 1 (sf86efu1.zip). Then everything should be in place  :)

Cheers,

Hansi

felixdk

• View Profile
    • Cat 2 Aviation Art Forum
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 07:55:53 PM »

I am a first time W7/64 user myself and i just installed the Sabre model in FSX without any problem apart from the usual anomalies related to FS9 port-overs in FSX.

Only one small issue remains : a black recticle..... i shall have to look into this... ( no pun intended.. 8) )

Good luck!

Cheers,
Jan

Jan,

I've got the black aiming reticle in FSX on W7/64 also, although I don't remember that happening in FSX running in XP.  I was running DX9c on XP, so possibly a DX11 problem? 

Regards,
Don

Jan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 07:25:24 PM »
Heya Don,

Yes, first time for me too to see it like this. Never a problem in XP, atleast not for me. The part has its own little texture bmp so it should be easy to fix. Maybe make it dissapear all together by making the alpha 0,0,0. Once i have a new texture i'll post it here.

Cheers,
Jan

peemers

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 03:23:35 AM »
Bingo!!!!   Thanks friends for your support and advice.  The idiosyncracies of computers.  Installed again and it came up trumps, this lovely aeroplane is on my screen. Just one thing,(there's always something) the contrails are black. Would you believe it!!!

keatles

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 05:51:12 AM »
Black contrails, square propellers and black demo smoke effect are usually the result of a missing or corrupt default 'texture' folder within the FSX\Effects folder - I should know, I have had to reinstall this a few times after inadvertently deleting it.

Good luck
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a poor memory.

felixdk

• View Profile
    • Cat 2 Aviation Art Forum
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 04:02:12 PM »
Jan,

I just noticed that the glass in the gunsight that the collimator projects the reticle onto is opaque black also.  It's transparent from the inside :-\

Jan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 12:32:34 PM »
Yes, i see that too, Don. It may well be caused by the fact that both the reticle and gunsight glass parts are ' closed' parts, like a box, as opposed to the canopy parts which are 'open' ( these have seperate external and internal parts ).

Currently i am very much booked up by various Maam-Sim projects but i will try and see if i can squeeze the Sabre somewhere in between and correct the reticle and gunsight glass problem. This will mean a new mdl file just for the FSX port-over of course.

There *may be* a glimmer of light at the end of the native FSX Sabre model but that's not 100% sure yet. Fingers crossed and oxygen regulator wide open is the message here...  ;D

Cheers,
Jan