Author Topic: Detailed instrument manual  (Read 5533 times)

Lluís del Cerro

• View Profile
    • Catalonian Airlines
Detailed instrument manual
« on: March 15, 2011, 10:52:18 AM »
Hi gents,

My most sincere congratulations and thanks for such a wonderful aircraft. I am a regular commercial aircraft flyer but this is an absolutely new and stimulating experience.

I am also one of those rare people which reads the manuals from the begining to the end, including the credits. Of course I have printed and read the one included in this package and I would like to have something similar for the "Instrument panel reference". In the web version of this there are items which I could not yet find in the panel and also I do not use any kind of virtual cockpit, thus wondering where to find some gauges. I would be very grateful and my flying experience more realistic if I can take benefit of all the aircraft system by means of a pdf manual at the same level of the "pilot's flight operating instructions".

Again my most sincere gratitude for your time and effort.

Best regards,

Lluís
-----
Lluís del Cerro
VATSIM Senior Instructor
CID 810821
-----
VATSIM Senior Instructor
CID 810821

Hansi

• View Profile
Re: Detailed instrument manual
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 04:32:02 PM »
Hello Lluís!

Welcome here and thanks for your nice words! Makes me happy that you like our Sabre  :).

In the web version of this there are items which I could not yet find in the panel and also I do not use any kind of virtual cockpit, thus wondering where to find some gauges.

Unfortunately, we don't have the "Instrument panel reference" in PDF format, like the fantastic "pilot's handbook" PDF done by Cliff. However, both the web version and the HTML reference which can be viewed from within the F-86 cockpit should be complete (in the sense that all panel features and instruments are documented).

Which gauges do you miss and/or which information do you need? There are quite a few hotspots on the 2D panel including some icons to click for opening the subpanels, but we made them invisible to not spoil the panel view. So you must hoover the mouse pointer over the corresponding hotspot and they'll show up. In the panel reference, you can find a screenshot showing the exact location of all available mouse areas.

Cheers,

Hansi

Lluís del Cerro

• View Profile
    • Catalonian Airlines
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 02:30:29 AM »
Hi Hansi,

In all documentation I have read there are two things I do not understand how do they work:

1. The fuel quatity: By reading the manuals I have learned to work with the fuel transfer (or at least I think so). As far as I understand, there is a single gauge to display the fuel quantity of the tank in use, but I only have readings of quantities when the tank used is the Forward Fuselage one (lower cell). This means that I do not know how much fuel remains in the active tank when this is not the "lower cell".

2. The VOR/DME: The radio system is capable of tuning VOR stations (not yet sure if also ILS). I tune any station without problems but I have no information on radial to/from the tuned station and neither on DME.

I will read again the documentation and surely I will find the answers, but any help from experts will be warmly welcome.

Thanks again and best regards,

Lluís
-----
VATSIM Senior Instructor
CID 810821

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 02:32:21 PM »
Hi Lluís,

1. The fuel quatity: By reading the manuals I have learned to work with the fuel transfer (or at least I think so). As far as I understand, there is a single gauge to display the fuel quantity of the tank in use, but I only have readings of quantities when the tank used is the Forward Fuselage one (lower cell). This means that I do not know how much fuel remains in the active tank when this is not the "lower cell".

the fuel quantity indicator works as follows: As long as there is some fuel left in the drop tanks, the needle shows that amount. When drop tanks become empty or are being dropped, the needle automatically indicates the remaining fuel in the internal tanks (total fuel of all tanks). Little problem here is, that if you forget to turn on the fuel transfer pump in time, you may run out of fuel although the fuel quantity needle still indicates a lot fuel (that from the aft fuse tank, but it is not usable without transfer pump).

2. The VOR/DME: The radio system is capable of tuning VOR stations (not yet sure if also ILS). I tune any station without problems but I have no information on radial to/from the tuned station and neither on DME.

Of course, you can fly ILS approaches with the Sabre, too. Just do a left-click into the radio compass card and it transforms into a VOR/TACAN course indicator with glide slope needle. For a DME, click into the mach number indicator. If needed, there also is a two-needle RMI hided behind the turn and bank coordinator, just click into that gauge to make it visible.

Both, the DME and the course indicator also can show GPS data (bearing and distance to next active waypoint) if the NAV selector switch is in position AUX.

I'll send you a PM, too.

Cheers,

Hansi

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 02:35:54 PM »
Oh, correction  ;D:

The course indicator CDI needle does not show the bearing to the next waypoint, it shows the deviation to the GPS track.

Lluís del Cerro

• View Profile
    • Catalonian Airlines
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 04:01:18 AM »
Hi Hansi,

Thank you for the information. The fuel system is quite complicated and will study it in detail.

Yesterday I sent you a PM telling you that I had finished the edition of the word and pdf versions of the instruments manual. I am looking forward the way to send it to you in case you wish to publish it and make its reading and printing much easier.

Regards,

Lluís
-----
VATSIM Senior Instructor
CID 810821